What is the Wishbone app?
Description: Wishbone (link to manufacturer’s site) “is your go-to app for comparing anything your heart desires! Wishbone covers everything from fashion, celebrities, humor, music and pretty much anything you can think about” (copied from the iTunes App Store). This also involves just straight voting thumbs up or down on images.
Category: Social Networking
APP Store rating: 12+ due to:
What do Parents Need to Know about the Wishbone app?
- Annoying commercials pop up without warning from whoever is paying for the ad (it was Tampax the night I used the app).
- Pornographic comparisons are easy, easy to find. The app doesn’t use hashtags, which hinders a search for inappropriate content using keywords, but by digging into user accounts
- Zero monitoring – there aren’t services that monitor Wishbone nor are there any parental controls in the app to filter inappropriate surveys.
- Some of the comparisons are really funny. It’s too bad people have polluted the app with inappropriate content, because some of the surveys are funny.
- It can be used without creating an account. This is unusual among social media-like platforms, but it is true with Wishbone.
The Wishbone comparison app has been rated 17+ in the past and it feels better there. Sexualized content is very easy to find, even without creating an account. This is upsetting, because so many of the comparisons are funny.
The BARK parental control solution is what we recommend for parents with most popular apps like Instagram, Snapchat, and GroupMe. Currently, Bark does not have an API for Wishbone, although we’re hopeful they will soon.