We love these smartphone instructions!
We recently came across this list of guidelines from a mom to her son when he received his first iPhone. We’re on the verge of giving our own child her first iPhone, and this is the list we’re going to use.
Dear child. Here’s a new phone. And, here are a few guidelines.
- It is my phone. I bought it. I pay for it. I am loaning it to you. Aren’t I the greatest?
- I will always know the password. No secrets. One-on-one with technology, whether you’re 14 or 40, the Internet eventually wins. This is why I (your dad) have an accountability partner (thank you Covenant Eyes).
- If it rings, answer it. It is a phone. Say hello, use your manners. Do not ever ignore a phone call if the screen reads “mom” or “dad.” Not ever!
- Hand the phone to one of your parents promptly at 8:00 pm every school night & every weekend night at 9:00 pm. It will be shut off for the night and turned on again at 6:30 am. If you would not make a call to someone’s landline, wherein their parents may answer first, then do not call or text. Listen to those instincts and respect other families like we would like to be respected.
- It may go to school with you, but it stays in your bag in your locker. Have a conversation with the people you text in person. It’s a life skill.
- If it falls into the toilet, smashes on the ground, or vanishes into thin air, you are responsible for the replacement costs or repairs.
- Do not use this technology to lie, fool, or deceive another human being. Do not involve yourself in conversations that are hurtful to others. Be a good friend first or stay out of the crossfire.
- Do not text, email, or say anything through this device you would not say in person. Does it pass the Grandma McKenna test?
- No porn. But, if you see it and have questions, let me know. This stuff is everywhere and it’s like a drug. You know this because we’ve talked to you about it for years.
- You will mess up. I will take away your phone. We will sit down and talk about it. We will start over again. You & I, we are always learning. I am on your team. We are in this together.
[INSERT SECTION FOR CHILD TO ADD 3-5 SMARTPHONE INSTRUCTIONS OF HIS/HER OWN]
Are you interested in a cell phone contract that both of you sign? Great. Our friends at Bark have a really conversational version you can print if you follow the link below. Or, print the list above and sign it.
Related Post: An Example Technology Contract
I love life. Seriously! Each. Day. A. Gift. Former CPA, business advisor, youth pastor, development director, porn survivor. Current marketing manager for Covenant Eyes and CEO of PYE. God shares wild ideas with me about life while I run. I love guiding parents to teach their kids how to use technology well while protecting them from the bad stuff.