01 Mar NTS Camp and Protect Young Eyes Team Up!
This blog post is written specifically for parents of kids who will be attending NTS Camp in summer 2018.
NTS Camp is about to begin!
Question: does your kid love his/her technology? If so, then please keep reading!
In just a few short weeks, on June 11, the first of seven 2018 NTS camps will kick-off at Indiana Wesleyan University. High school and middle school students from around the country will soon be engulfed in team comps, amazing worship and teaching, and non-stop engagement with each other and the Spirit of God.
This blog post is written specifically so that your kids and their technology are prepared for an amazing NTS Camp experience.
Since our inception in 2015, the mission of Protect Young Eyes has been to help busy, concerned parents and hyper-connected kids use their technology responsibly. We do this through:
- Educating parents and their kids with in-person school and church presentations
- A constantly updated website (right here!)
- A bi-weekly Parent Tech Trends e-newsletter (text the word “protect” to 66866), and
- Pushing out a constant stream of content for parents about tech trends through our social media channels (Facebook: Protect Young Eyes; Twitter: @protecteyes)
And, as we speak to parents and to kids across the country, we are constantly challenging all to ask themselves, “do I control my device, or does it control me?”
But, what about the iPhone or the new Galaxy that’s in their pocket while they’re at camp? Does it pose a risk?
Maybe your kid brings a smartphone so that they can keep in touch with you. That’s great, but let me give you a few additional items to consider:
- Apple devices – have you enabled Restrictions to limit adult content in Safari and limit app additions? (if not, read the linked blog post)
- Samsung devices – have you downloaded a service like Covenant Eyes* or Mobicip* to monitor web searches and control what apps are being used?
- Do you understand all of the apps that are currently on your kid’s phone? Would any of them be a distraction while they’re at camp?
When Jesus sent out the 72, He told them “I am sending you like lambs among wolves. Carry no money bag, no sack, no sandals; and greet no one along the way” (Luke 10:3-4). Jesus wants them to have as little distraction as possible as they go out to witness to Him and His kingdom.
While your teens will surely be packing a bag and bringing money, we are asking for your assistance in limiting distractions on this trip—particularly by addressing the distractions presented by technology.
NTS has been preparing for camp for months and they will do everything in their power to ensure your teens are protected from inappropriate content and excessive use of technology while under their care. But, they know that some of the best prep happens at home. Protect Young Eyes is here to help parents prep their kids and their technology for an amazing week.
We love what Jeff Eckart and the NTS Camp team are doing to point kids toward Jesus! We’re honored to be working with them. If you have specific questions about how to protect the young eyes in your home, please reach out to us at email@example.com.
*Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase. We constantly test products to make sure we only recommend solutions that we trust with our own families.
Now What? Do this in the next 24 hours!
Are you ready to have awesome conversations with your kids about how to use their technology well? Do you want access to free videos to watch with your kids about tough, digital topics? Would you like to know what parental control solutions we recommend? What about bilingual videos that teach parents about the latest digital trends? All of these are available in our Resources. You might want to visit them today!