What is Locket?
The Locket Widget app came out of NOWHERE! A young software developer named Matt Moss missed his girlfriend, so he created an app for her to send random pictures to his iPhone screen throughout the day! A digital “locket.” He created a TikTok explainer video, launched it to the App Store in January, and MILLIONS of downloads later, he has one of the hottest teen apps!
Check out a few more details about Locket below.
App Category: Social Media
APP Store rating: 12+ – Apple’s App Store
What else do parents need to know about Locket?
- Locket lets you send pictures straight to the home screen of your iPhone for up to 5 friends. It’s brilliant and hits on what teens love about Snapchat: instant, easy, and fun. It’s like a tiny Instagram picture feed right on your screen – with no words.
- It leverages a seldom-used little pieces of software on the iPhone, and it’s those little widgets. Delivering a little surprise – an unpolished, “in the moment” picture – from a friend or loved one. It’s so simple, and I think that’s what makes it so attractive in a complicated, algorithm-fed digital world.
Does Locket have any risks? Yes. Three that stand out:
- Risk – Locket asks for access to contacts, but claims they don’t keep them.
- Risk – a friend could send an inappropriate picture straight to your home screen.
- Risk – the terms & conditions say that Locket owns and has rights to all pictures! Concerning.
The bottom line: is Locket safe?
There’s no porn or predators, but there are privacy concerns. Overall, it’s not a very risky app, but based on our review, you can now make an informed decision!
2 amazing ways to stay current and be more confident:
*There might be affiliate links throughout this post because we’ve tested and trust a small list of parental control solutions. Our work saves you time! If you decide that you agree with us, then we may earn a small commission, which does nothing to your price. Enjoy!