Netflix Party lets teens stay connected while social distancing.
These are crazy days. Most of the world is on high alert, school is cancelled, and we’re all stuck at home. And with perfect timing, a group of smart people have created Netflix Party as a way for teens and adults to connect with friends while watching their favorite shows. Parents are asking us, “Is it safe? What should I know?”
Here’s how it works.
All you need is a Google Chrome browser and a Netflix subscription. In other words, this is something you most likely do from a laptop, iPad, or Chromebook. Next, follow these steps:
1. Go to netflixparty.com on a Google Chrome browser and click “Get Netflix Party for free!” This will redirect you to Netflix Party’s page on the Chrome web store.
2. Click “Add to Chrome” and then click “Add extension” in the pop-up window. Netflix Party will then be added to the top right corner of your Google Chrome browser, next to the address bar. It will have the initials “NP.” The letters will be colored grey until you start the extension in the steps below.
3. Make sure your friends have downloaded the Netflix Party extension onto their Google Chrome browsers as well.
4. Using your Google Chrome browser, go to Netflix.com, and play the show or movie you all want to watch. The gray “NP” shown above will turn red.
5. Then click the red “NP” letters on your browser. You’ll have the option of making yourself the one in charge of pausing, fast-forwarding and rewinding by checking the “Only I have control” box. If you don’t, anybody in your party will be able to use these features.
6. Click “Start the Party” and copy the URL that appears. Send this URL to the people you want to join your party. Parents – this part is just a point of conversation with kids. Only share the link with people you trust.
7. Once your friends open the link, they should log into Netflix and hit the “NP” button on their Google Chrome browsers.
8. Now you’re together! Enjoy! You can communicate with each other via group chat on the right side of the screen.
The bottom line – is Netflix Party safe?
Generally, the answer is yes! Parents should know that there are options at the bottom of the chat box where users can donate to the effort through a Patreon account. Parents should also make sure that their Netflix account is set up the way they want, but the Party feature doesn’t add significant additional risk that doesn’t already inherently exist with Netflix’s content.
- Have a quick conversation about not sharing the Netflix Party link with strangers.
- Have a quick conversation about not donating money to their Patreon account.
- Then have a conversation about how excited you are that your teen son or daughter will be able to hang with friends during a very difficult time.
Whether you’re age 4, 14, or 40, it’s tough to be #stuckathome. At least we can now “chill” with friends from a safe distance!